Saturday, November 25, 2023

My Review: How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

 

 


I recently started streaming Young Sheldon, a good-hearted, hilarious show. This book had a starring role in the second episode. I remembered reading the book, but I had forgotten reviewing it. Here's my review--a bit dusty but still relevant, I think.

When two different friends in completely separate settings mentioned Dale Carnegie to me, I decided I needed to learn more about him. I discovered that many business majors are exposed to his writings in college or later in manager training.

I found the book interesting, and I really enjoyed the first few chapters. However, as I continued reading, I began to worry about the "How to" part of the book and the idea that some individuals might use it to learn persuasion techniques while discarding the richer message--that you get the most from relationships when you genuinely treat others the way you want to be treated and when you make sincere efforts to understand and appreciate others' viewpoints, motivations, and needs.

Overall, an interesting and thought-provoking read. If people walk away from the experience more self-aware and more considerate of others' feelings, great. Awesome! However, if people try to use it as a roadmap for successful sales and employee management without also absorbing the wider message, I think most of us will see through their insincere efforts--or I hope we will!

 

_______

1 comment:

  1. After digging a little further, I discovered there's a newer, updated version of the book. You may wish to read it instead: https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People-ebook/dp/B09LVWLKXB

    ReplyDelete